Doutorado (Ph.D.) a joint program of Baptist Bible Seminary (Clarks Summit University) and Aubrey Clark Institute (SIBIMA).*
*Doutorado (Ph.D.) é um programa em conjunto do Baptist Bible Seminary (Clarks Summit University) e do Instituto Aubrey Clark (SIBIMA).
BEGINNING JULY 2021.
The Doctor of Philosophy degree at Baptist Bible Seminary is an advanced professional ministry program that gives you the competent ability to engage in thorough research and writing. The Ph.D. is considered the terminal degree for those who teach higher-level education courses, as well as missionary educators, international academic leaders, and pastors who desire to have a strong teaching ministry.
The degree program requires 60 credit hours of study, including a doctoral dissertation. For those possessing a Th.M. degree, the Ph.D. program is 38 credit hour program. Credits may be flexible depending on your previous theological education.
As a student in the Ph.D. program, you can specialize your program to fit your ministry needs. Focus in the areas of Old Testament, New Testament, Systematic Theology, or Bible Exposition.
Why a Ph.D and not a D.Min? What is the difference between a Ph.D and a D.Min? See the table below.
The focus of the Old Testament concentration is analyzing and mastering the Hebrew language for sufficient translation and theological understanding. Courses in biblical Aramaic, ancient culture, and textual criticism are included in the concentration, giving you a deep understanding of the Old Testament.
The New Testament concentration emphasizes a sound understanding of historical and cultural implications of the New Testament. Courses included in the concentration focus on linguistics, textual criticism, and in-depth exegetical studies of New Testament literature.
As a student in the Systematic Theology concentration, you will address historical and contemporary issues in theology. Practical skills are gained as you learn to teach theology cross-culturally. Special attention is paid to teaching in the postmodern culture.
Detailed study of each Old Testament and New Testament books is the focus of the Bible Exposition concentration. You will study biblical concepts as well as issues in hermeneutics and exegesis. Biblical analysis of history, culture, archaeology and chronology give you the fullest understanding of the biblical texts and the tools for exposition.
Formats and Features:
The Doctor of Philosophy degree is a non-resident program offered in one-week, on-campus modules. This flexibility allows you to continue in your current ministry without having to relocate your family or take a long-term leave of absence.
The program is a hybrid of both classroom lectures and online learning. Each 13-week course requires one week of internal residency. Students come to the SIBIMA campus for one-week intensive classes. Internal residence weeks include about 26 hours of instructions and are held in January and July.
As an in-service degree program, the Ph.D. can be earned while you continue in your professional ministry setting. The program may also be completed in much less time by living in the area and carrying a larger load of courses
Baptist Bible Seminary exists to train students in biblical doctrines and scriptural applications for excellence in leadership. BBS is open to men and women desiring to grow their faith and deepen their ministry in an academic setting.
A Master of Divinity degree is required for entrance into the Ph.D. program. Other master’s degrees may be utilized and supplemented with additional coursework. Your M.Div. must have prepared you with Greek and Hebrew language study to use in Bible study and research. BBS will work with you on biblical language reviews for assistance in this area. You must have earned a grade point average of 3.0 in all graduate studies to enter the Ph.D. program. Transcripts must be sent from all previous undergraduate and graduate-level studies.
An oral interview with a faculty committee will be conducted prior to admission. A written statement of agreement with the articles of doctrine of Baptist Bible Seminary must also be submitted.
The general requirements for entrance as a student into Baptist Bible Seminary apply to all doctoral students.
For more information email@example.com.
Ph.D. Core Courses:
- OT1 – Seminar in OT Hermeneutics and Exegetical Method
- NT1 – Seminar in NT Hermeneutics and Exegetical Method
- TH1 – Seminar in Advanced Theological Method
- BI1 – Advanced Bible Teaching and Communication Methods
- MP1 – Developing Effective Leadership Skills*
- MP2 – The Centrality of Scripture in Ministry*
- MP3 – Current Trends in Global Ministry*
*Only one of these courses is required.
Summary of Course Schedule & Teaching Assignments:
BBS Responsibilities –
- BBS professors (McGinnis, Slusser, Gardosky, and adjuncts) will teach: OT1, OT2, OT3, & NT1, NT2, NT3, & TH1, TH2, TH3. They will teach these courses each January (or during the Fall or Summer when available) in Fortaleza as 1-week modules.
SIBIMA Responsibilities –
- Other electives courses in each concentration will be taught by SIBIMA faculty and or adjuncts with assistance of BGFM and GBC. These courses will be scheduled by the SIBIMA administration as 1-week modules offered each Summer and Fall semesters in alternating sequence, per the suggestions on the individual concentrations charts listed below. Theological Language courses (French & German PH71-72); and PH14 Professional Teaching Practicum (0 cr); will all be taught and scheduled by SIBIMA faculty as SIBIMA transcript courses.
- The required BI1 course will be taught by SIBIMA faculty in Fortaleza once they have taken BI1 on campus at BBS.
Baptist Bible Seminary / Clarks Summit University is accredited by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association, and the Association for Biblical Higher Education. Due to accreditation guidelines the following credit load teaching responsibilities must be followed:
- No more than 27 credit hours (less than 50% of the total program) may be taught by BBS professors or adjuncts in Fortaleza. BBS faculty will teach on site in Fortaleza: OT1, OT2, OT3, & NT1, NT2, NT3, & TH1, TH2, TH3.
- No more than 14 credit hours (less than 25% of the total program) may be taught by SIBIMA faculty and transferred to BBS.
- Remaining course credits will be available through a) international student studying on BBS campus, b) online delivery system provided by BBS, c) independent studies through BBS, and d) 12 dissertation credits through BBS.
Tuition & Fees:
- All courses taught by BBS professors, whether in Fortaleza, online, or on the BBS campus, will be charged the discounted Ph.D. tuition rate of $500 per credit hour ($710 per credit hour for dissertation credits) per student, and will be recorded on student transcripts as BBS courses. Tuition will be paid to BBS for these courses.
- If any SIBIMA Ph.D. student chooses to travel to Clarks Summit to take any of the elective Ph.D. courses during the October, February, or June modules, these students may be eligible for tuition grants and assistance from the BBS international student assistance program. All travel costs will be the responsibility of the individual student.
- Assistance with Tuition & Fees, please check if there is scholarship available for you.
Timetable and Task List for Start of Program:
|Ph.D. Process||Beginning Date||Due Date||Responsible Parties|
|Brazilian students apply to PhD program New students begin online application process to BBS: |
|October, 2019||July, 2020||SIBIMA/BGFM|
|Interview PhD applicants||July, 2020||August 2020||BBS Faculty|
|TOEFL Exam||January, 2020||December, 2020||Applicant|
|Accepted Applicants assessments exam: Greek &NT||August, 2020||September, 2020||Applicant|
|Accepted Applicants assessments exam: Systematic Theology||August, 2020||October, 2020||Applicant|
|Accepted Applicants assessments exam: Bible Exposition||August, 2020||November, 2020||Applicant|
|Accepted Applicants assessments exam: Hebrew & OT||August, 2020||December, 2020||Applicant|
|Teaching July 2021:||July, 2021||July, 2021||BSS Faculty|
Checklist to Application
- Go to: https://www.clarkssummitu.edu/seminary/doctoral-degrees/
- Click in: Apply Now
- Complete your Application.
- Submit your $25 application fee.
- Have Endorsemente Submitted.
- Complete an interview with your Admissions Counselor.
- Send us official transcripts.